Materials and Resources
The Bernard Group remains committed to providing our clients with eco-friendly options.
We have created a sustainability materials book that allows clients to touch and feel sustainable alternatives to conventional non-sustainable options.
TBG partnered with a local plastics company to develop styGreen™, a proprietary plant-based styrene that is made from renewable resources, thus greatly reducing its impact on the environment.
· Reduced greenhouse gases and carbon footprint
· Ocean safe – it is designed to dissolve in water
· Degradable – will break down in landfills
· Renders colors well, including pastels
Community Involvement & Charitable Giving
The Bernard Group is committed to creating positive social change in our community and strives to be intentional with our giving strategy. For example, we partner with local charities that serve the needs of the fatherless; children, teens and women in need right here in our neighborhood.
As our core values state, we believe that all of us are inherently hard-wired to work for something bigger than ourselves and to be in relationship with each other. In addition to The Bernard Group’s financial contributions to the community, our employees participate in volunteer activities throughout the year. From collecting jars of peanut butter for a local food shelf to packing up food to be shipped to third-world countries, we provide a variety of opportunities for them to give back.
We value the diversity and inclusion of the people with whom we work. We are committed to equal opportunity and are intolerant of discrimination and harassment. We work to maintain workplaces that are free from discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, sex, color, national or social origin, ethnicity, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identification or expression, political opinion or any other status protected by applicable law. The basis for recruitment, hiring, placement, development, training, compensation and advancement at the Company is qualifications, performance, skills and experience. We do not tolerate disrespectful or inappropriate behavior, unfair treatment or retaliation of any kind. Harassment is not tolerated in the workplace and in any work-related circumstance outside the workplace.
TBG sources its products from businesses that reflect our moral and ethical values. As stated in our environmental policy, we are committed to leading the industry in minimizing the impact of our activities on the environment.
We aim to continually improve the sustainability level of our supply chain by incorporating environmental and social principles into our purchasing program.
We utilize the EcoVadis platform to track and monitor our supply’s
activities and progress towards environmental and social programs with the goal of demonstrating continuous year-over-year improvement.
This program provides our suppliers with a sustainability Scorecard and tools for benchmarking to improve their sustainability practices.
We believe that this methodology increases transparency, encourages collaboration and facilitates ongoing improvement.
Environment and Business Operations
As our business continues to grow, we continually strive to improve the environmental performance of our business operations.
The environmental metrics that we track fall into the following categories:
Managing the waste we generate on a daily basis is our biggest investment of environmental effort as an organization. We handle over 35 different wastes that must be sorted not just for compliant disposal but with the most positive and least negative impacts.
• As much waste as possible is recycled in all areas AND
• Recycling is required even when it isn’t profitable
• Materials that can’t be recycled are often used for energy recovery
WATER CONSERVATION PROGRAM
TBG is a Minnesota based company and we’re especially conscious of protecting our waterways. Our printing processes are waterless, neither consuming freshwater or producing wastewater.
• In fact ALL of our liquid waste is disposed of properly, shipped compliantly to be incinerated
• We do not discharge chemical waste or effluent into the environment or public water system. We also perform all of our major activities and storage indoors; meaning all of our print and warehousing locations qualify for no exposure stormwater permits.
ENERGY CONSERVATION PROGRAM
As an industrial manufacturer, managing energy usage is a critical aspect of achieving our environmental goals. Comprehensive energy audits are conducted annually to look for energy savings project opportunities. Many projects have been implemented as a result of these audits and the methodology and technology used have been applied on a continuing basis.
• Energy Efficient Print Equipment – High transmission efficiency 480V power is specified for all new production equipment wherever possible. LED curing is used on a wide variety of current generation print assets in large format.
• Programmable Thermostats – Programmable thermostats continue to be specified for all new HVAC equipment installs as well as on any remedial projects for current installations. TBG continues the practice of installing locking covers on thermostats in controlled areas to prevent tampering.
• High-Efficiency RTU’s – When rooftop HVAC equipment is added or replaced; TBG always specifies an AHRA certified high-efficiency unit as this provides numerous benefits. Lower emissions, less fossil fuel consumption, and a rebate incentive are all positive impacts and come at a very small increase to the project cost.
• Occupancy Sensors – Occupancy sensors continue to be specified for new breakroom, office, and conference room build-outs as well as added wherever feasible as a remedial project for our contract electrician.
• LED Lamps Installation- LED lamps are more energy-efficient and have a longer life than alternatives, and are a critical component of our energy-saving efforts. TBG continues to make energy improvements and holds new installation and construction projects to a high standard of energy efficiency.
Data drives all of our environmental action at TBG; so performance monitoring is a major component of our programs. Performance is continually monitored for waste, recycling, emissions, and numerous other categories. Using this data; we have set a goal for ourselves of working towards being 100% carbon neutral.
The renewable energy generation we support has a positive environmental impact similar to growing over 80,000 trees or taking 1,029 cars off the road.